Google Meet has become more popular than ever for everything from corporate meetings to elementary school classes. The option to change your background is a great way to hide your messy bedroom or home office and replace it with a more fun image.
While this is a basic option offered through Google Meet itself, there are some prerequisites to using it:
- If you’re using Google Meet on an iOS device, you must have an iPhone 6s or newer, with iOS 12 or above.
- If you’re using Google Meet on an Android, your device must have Android version P or above, 3 Gb of RAM, at least 4 CPU cores, at least 1.6 GHz CPU clock speed, and ARM64 Architecture.
- If you’re using Google Meet on a Mac, you can only access the “change background” option in Chrome.
- If you’re using Google Meet on Windows, macOS, or Linux, your Chrome version must be M84 or above.
- If you’re using Google Meet on Chrome OS, your Chrome version must be M86 or above.
If you don’t have the option to change your background on Google Meet, check which version of Chrome you’re using to see if that’s the issue.
How to Change The Background on Google Meet Before Joining The Meeting
You can change your background before joining the Google Meeting before anybody can see your actual surroundings.
1. Open Google Meet and sign into your meeting.
2. In the bottom right corner of your self-view, click on the “Change Background” icon. It’s the one that looks like a head with lines behind it.
3. In the “Change Background” menu that shows up, a number of background options will appear.
- To blur your background, select the second or third squares (each containing an icon of a person surrounded by dots).
- To upload your own background image, click the square with a plus “+” icon. This will pull up access to your computer’s files. From there, simply find the file you want to load and click on it.
- You can also select an image from Google Meet’s library of stock background images — click the square of the image you want to use.
- After you’ve selected a background image, you can click the first square (containing a circle with a line through it) to undo any background selections you’ve made.
4. Whichever icon you click on will automatically change your background.
How to Change The Background on Google Meet After Joining The Meeting
You can also change the background on Google Meet after joining the meeting by accessing this exact same menu.
1. Click on the three vertical dots in the bottom right corner.
2. Scroll up to “Change background.”
3. This will bring up a sidebar menu to change your background during the call.